golf balls/fake eggs in the nesting boxes

kmatt87

Songster
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Northern Colorado
do you have to add golf balls/fake eggs to the nesting boxes to train them where to lay?
I've seen photos with them in the nest and i didn't have a clue why they were there! Is it a good idea to do this with a flock of new layers?

I read the very informative article on the site about chicken laying habits. Thank you to the writer. I did have a question after reading the article. Yesterday while preparing my almost ready to begin laying girls to be out in their run for the day i provided them some small stone. Then i left the run to get their fresh water. While on the outside of the privacy fence I heard one give a loud squack. I thought there was a predicator in their run the sound was pretty loud. when i opened the gate everyone appeared just fine. But, there on the board where I leave their stone was an unformed slime. Like an egg white tinted a little rust color. Was this the beginning of what I have been waiting for? There was no yolk. Do they have some mucus covering of the canal that comes first or is that the pratice, wind eg, mentioned in the article? And if it was indeed the beginning of the egg laying will she start laying right away or will it still be some time before she starts?
The second question...If i put out oyster shell for her will the others still not ready to lay gobble it up and get sick?
Thank you chicken friends for your help!

Hi Jills: When they start up the machinery needs to work out the kinks, that takes time. What you saw was probably just white expelled before any thing else was ready. It could be a while yet till she lays a good one. After trying some they won't eat oyster shell unless they need it.

Thank you Denn. Your reply was very helpful. It makes it easier to know my less mature pullets will not eat the oyster shell. .I am quite sure I know which girl layed the uckey gift. I believe her to be about a week older than the rest. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom