golf balls in the chicken pen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PolarBear, Aug 6, 2009.

1. PolarBear

PolarBear In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    I put 6 golf balls in the chicken pen today. I'm not sure how this is going to work out, though. Everytime I go out to check on them I see the golf balls and get excited thinking I've got eggs all over the place. It's starting to get embarrassing.

2. princess araucana

princess araucana Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Are the golf balls for fake eggs to get them started? Did you post in the wrong spot?
    I use a golf ball as a decoy egg, which ever nest I put it in is the one they lay in!!

3. PolarBear

PolarBear In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    I posted it here because another member told me that if snakes were stealing eggs I could put the golf balls in and the snake would eat it. Not being able to digest the golf ball, the snake will die. That's why I posted this here.

4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had that problem when I first put golf balls out...oh there's my first egg...no...no..

Good luck solving your predator problem.

5. princess araucana

princess araucana Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    ooooh. OK! So glad I don't have to worry about snakes! I can't imagine having to deal with them and the small cracks they could get through!
    That has got to be a sight, a snake full of golf balls!!

Seeing as I have no idea about snake issues, just curious, what kinds of snakes? Do they only go for eggs? Or is there also worry about them biting or hurting the chickens?

Hopefully if my chickens think a golf ball is an egg a snake will too!!

Good Luck!

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I've read quite a few posts on people doing that. Let us know if it works for you, too.

7. PolarBear

PolarBear In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    I don't really know what kind of snakes eat eggs. I know that what we call chicken snakes do and that's what I suspect I've got. I know some will not like this statement, but I kill every snake I see. I don't care if it's a grass snake or a rattler. If there's anything I can do about it, I won't have snakes on my property. Some people say they are great because they kill mice. So does my dog. Even if she didn't, I'd rather have mice than snakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: