golf balls? really?

chickenbythesea

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ok, be honest, who really used golf ball in the nesting box to "teach" their chickens to lay there? AND, did it actually work? I've got golf balls in the nest boxes, but really, all they do is pull out the shavings and move the balls around, then the two that are laying, lay their eggs on the floor or from their roost.

I use golf balls, and they seem to help. I bought a box of a dozen golf balls and I have 5 nests, so the balls aren't evenly divided (2 nests have 3 golf balls and the others 2) and the hens actually seem to prefer the nests with more golf balls in them. Did you put the nest boxes on the floor or did you always have them up on the wall? At first my hens laid on the floor because the nest boxes were on the wall but I lowered them and they started laying in the boxes. Also maybe try putting an actual egg in the box, maybe your hens are just a lot smarter than mine and know the golf balls aren't real eggs lol.

They actually do work. I use them to train my free range birds where to lay. Once, my golf ball turned up missing from the nesting site in the forest. I found it about 50 feet away in a new nesting site. Apparently, the girls didn't like the site I had chosen, so they chose their own... and somehow managed to move the golf ball to it.
roll.png

Good luck.

I used golf balls and it has worked, so far! I have five girls who are technically old enough to lay (over 22 wks), but only one is laying as of yet. Mine free range over four acres and never return to the coop during the day, so I was worried that I would be finding eggs all over. Thankfully, my one laying hen was smart and went right in the nest box like a pro from the start! I have two nest boxes in the coop with a golf ball apiece.

I use golf balls and I have the plastic Easter eggs in a box too, but my 2 that are laying just snug up in the corner and lay there. I blame the rooster that made a perfectly round nest in that corner and sang his come hither and check out what I did for you song. (I must say it was really sweet to watch him do that and then happily move out of the way when she wanted to lay her very first egg.). It hasn't worked for me yet, but I'm still waiting on a few girls to start.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom