Golf balls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patoot, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I just built 2 nest boxes and put 3 golf balls in each. Is that what I'm supposed to do? The balls have some writing on them. Not sure that matters.

Bree

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Yeah, that is what you are supposed to do. I think. I read that anything round and egg-sized will do. I don't think the writing will matter. They don't care.

3. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    Yep...I used golf balls in my nest boxes and "knock on wood" the girls have laid in the boxes all but a couple of times.

Now about the writing on the golf balls... depends....

[​IMG] Can your chickens read?

And...

[​IMG] Do any of them know anything about golfing?

[​IMG]

Sorry I'll be quiet now.... [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Writing doesn't matter; chickens aren't much for reading. And you only need one golf ball per nest. If there are two or more, the foot traffic might knock the golf balls against the eggs and crack 'em.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Writing only matters if the chickens prefer Tiger to Phil--in which case you need to use Nikes rather than Callaways. [​IMG]

6. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I've been using golf balls and they are working well! My chickens seem to appreciate the reading material, so I'm going to try to find some different golf brands and keep them changed up. [​IMG] Also thinking about using shredded newspaper for nesting. You know. For the reading. [​IMG]

7. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    Quote:My chickens enjoy the crossword when nesting. [​IMG]

On the serious side, golf balls work well. I have two in each nesting box, the hens will carefully tuck them under themselves while they are laying.

8. Dark Dozens

Dark Dozens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Berkshire County, MA
    My girls are still young, only 16 weeks old. But I just placed 2 golf balls in each nest to get them thinking right. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by