GOLF

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by papadekaitlyn, Dec 1, 2008.

1. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I have recently taken up Golf.

I don't know my handicap as I haven't been keeping score. I guess once I learn the shots and improve my swing I will start keeping up with my score and see what my handicap is.

My uncle from Atlanta worked with me for about 15 minutes and I was swinging real well. I had a nice, slow, smooth swing that seemed to have a lot more power than my former attempts to brutalize the ball with my clubs after about 5 minutes of his coaching. I went to the range at lunch today however and the caveman immediately kicked back in trying to crush the ball and that resulted in a lot of worm burners and divots that could be used as gold fish ponds...

Does any golfers here have any tips for a beginner?

[​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Keep your head down.

By the way, golf is a great way to increase your vocabulary of swear words.

3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I went golfing once........... I thought you got to try as much as you wanted, I didn't know that when they were yelling at you over the loud speakers they meant to for you to quit, then they sent some one out there and he was mad, I thought it was rude of people to say playing through and move my ball and go ahead of me. If I would have known those things my experience would have been more miserable than it was!

4. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    Sheesh... That doesn't sound like it was very fun...

I live in the sticks and the people are pretty laid back so we can pretty much just hack at it until we hole it...

Every now and then I invite people to play through, because I take a while to play. I like to have plenty of time to take in the country side (plus I am not good at it [​IMG]

No loud speakers where I play.

And while golf hasn't taught me new swear words, it has definately increase the fluidity with which I am able to use them. I think once I spoke two sentences back to back and I think there was only one single word between them that wasn't a swear....[​IMG]

The thing that kills me is how I can have an awesome day, seem to change nothing in my swing, ball position or anything, and the next time will be wretched... [​IMG]

5. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    I think some help that day would have been in order! I was 18 and it was a first and only date with that guy!! People sure seem to love the game, and it obviously takes skill!

6. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Here is the best advice I've ever gotten while learning to swing the club. (it takes a long time to get any good at golf)

#1. Act like you are in a swimming pool of molasses. GO IN SLOW MOTION. Try to hit the ball only about 30 feet in front of you.
    You are creating muscle memory. You can't do that trying to break the sound barrior with your club head. The ball will automaticaly go further and straighter USING LESS ENERGY when you contact it properly. Let the club do all the work.

Once you can contact the ball reliably 99% of the time then go on to step 2.

#2. Only work with three clubs. Take the rest out of your bag before you go to the range. 3 wood, 5 wood and 9 iron. Even better, only take ONE club to the range until you can place the balls reasonably close to what you are aiming at 3 out of 4 times in a row. (simulate putting the ball on the green in one shot)

#3. Only hit one bucket of balls(or two of the little ones) anything more than that will just be frustrating, tiring, not fun, waste of time and money.

#4. Don't play on the course until you can accurately say, "I'm going to put the ball right there..." and actually place the ball within 50 or 60 feet of that point.

Don't worry about a handicap unless you belong to a golf club or country club, and plan on playing tournements.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I feel your pain Papa, I started golfing 42 yrs ago when I was just a very young boy, My father was a golf pro on the PGA tour in the 60's & 70's so I pretty much was born into the game. I put my clubs down for awhile a few yrs ago due to a busy schedule, and have just started to pick them back up again. I feel like I should put them away again LOL, my swing has gone to %&*# hehe, so I am now trying to dig deep into my memory to get my swing back. Anyway I am slowing things down, just taking 3/4 swings w/ no power behind them, and concentrating on my timing and fundamentals, Hang in there man we will get it soon. I just hate looking like a hack when I know I am so much better than that.

AL

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:That's what kills me about golf too!!! Like when Tiger Woods or Annika Sorenstam don't even make the cut for a tournament! What insane kind of sport is this?

I've been to a driving range a couple times with DH, but he won't let me anymore. He says I get too violent.

(By the way, I don't play, but have to watch a lot of golf on TV due to DH - but better that than watching giant truck rallies or fishing shows, oh wait, I do have to watch fishing shows too.... time to get my own TV.)

9. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I appreciate the tips seismic wonder... It absolutely makes sense. I am going to follow that list exactly and I'll keep you posted on how things progress. The first time I ever swung at a real golf ball was when a buddy of mine talked me into playing nine holes at the links... It was pretty frustrating as I am sure you must know...

AL, Nice to know I'm not by myself on this... (I mean my dad wasn't PGA or anything, nor did I ever have a good swing to begin with... but you know, the rest of it... ) [​IMG]

10. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:lol agreed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by