golfballs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeanne25, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jeanne25

jeanne25 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    We just got our first eggs!!!!!! [​IMG]
    We have seven baby girls, and yesterday when I went in the coop to change the water, I saw two little eggs on the floor! This sounds crazy, but they are beautiful! I almost cried!! They are so perfect!
    I took pictures on my phone and sent them to my husband and kids, and everyone was so excited.
    Almost everyone!! I showed the pictures to people at work, and most smiled, and said "that's nice", but the look on their faces said "she's a nut!" I don't care! It makes me smile and tear up when I see those eggs!
    Today, there are two more eggs, and they were in the nest boxes!!!! Yippee!!!!
    So now my question.
    When can I take the golf balls out? I have one ball in each nest box. This morning, when I was watching the girls, before any more eggs, Ruby jumped up into the nest box and "arranged" the straw forever!! She seemed to be very irritated with this ball that was in her way. She kept trying to move it, and re-arrange for every bit of 15-20 minutes, then finally left the box. When I came back out, before leaving for work, there was an egg!
    So, will they rest of the girls follow Ruby and get the message that the boxes are the place to lay their eggs?

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Only chicken people will share in your thrill of those first eggs lol...
    And it is AWESOME!!!! I still remember my first eggs!!! So exciting!!!
    I would go ahead and take the balls out if htey are laying in the nest box. The other girls will soon follow!
    COngrats!!!!!!!!!

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Oh My....Tears yes...I get it!! I had my first one on Wednesday, broken on the ground outside the barn...[​IMG]

I now have golf balls in hand and plan on putting them in today to see if they "get it"....

Go girls!![​IMG]

4. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I got my first egg on Wednesday too! If was cracked. It either came out when she was on the roost or someone pecked at it.

Congats to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by