Golly gee whiz it's cold outside today!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gumpsgirl, Oct 27, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm freezing! It's like 44 degrees right now and it was in the upper 80's only 2 wks. ago. My poor chickens have been huddled together in the run next to the pop door all morning. I think that they've been trying to decide if they should be outside or in the coop! I threw them some scratch earlier, but after that was gone, straight back to the huddle they went. Poor things...

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    It is! They're saying snow flurries here on the TN border/Western NC possibly tonight! Holy smokes! And the wind is blowing like mad, too. We just went and bought two square bales of hay for the chickens. They're loving me right now scratching in it, but by tonight, they'll be loving me b/c it keeps them warm. ;-)

3. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    it snowed where i live on oct. 11th!
    [​IMG]
    i couldn't believe it!

4. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I know it's been snowing on the western slopes in Colorado where my dad lives since Sept., but for Virginia these temps. were just sprung on us! It's like it was summer and now it's winter! Brrrrrr...

asher - I was talking to my DH earlier on the phone and he commented about how it looks like a snow sky here today. It sure does! It feels like it could snow too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yes, I fear it's going to be a cold Winter. We normally only get one "good" snow a year and maybe a few ice storms, but I think this one is going to be bad.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I live in NE MS and cold to me is like 40. Well today it is 39 and the wind is blowing sideways. Monday is my wash day and I'm bout to lose my fingertips hanging clothes on the line. My husband told me I was insane, to just use the dryer, but I can't do it. I use my clothesline until the blue jeans start to freeze solid LOL!!! Yesterday we had shorts on and were sweating while we were cutting firewood for my husbands old uncle, but durn it's cold today!!!!!!!!!

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP TALKING ABOUT SNOW! I'M NOT READY FOR THAT, AND YOU'RE GETTING ME ALL DISCOMBOBULATED!

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Same here. That's all we usually get also. I am 10 minutes from the N.C. line so I'm not to far off from you. A ways, but not to terribly far. I am also fearing a colder than normal winter here and am NOT looking forward to it. That's the one thing I've really enjoyed about living in Virginia, versus Colorado. I guess I need to figure out ways to keep my girls warm. I've been reading some good posts on warm treats and such. I guess it is time to hang some heavy duty plastic over the coop windows too. I just wasn't ready for it to get this cold yet. *SIGH*

9. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:OOPS! [​IMG] I send my most sincere apologies your direction Joe. [​IMG]

10. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yes, I need to look for some large clear plastic to put around the run.

I feed cooked oatmeal, rice, etc. on super cold mornings to warm them up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by