golly molly

golly molly

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Hello my name is donna and a long time ago used to be a member, We have in the past couple gotten standard cochins. very nice and docile chickens. I have three dogs and two cats also. I really need advice as soon as possible .I am not sure I am in the right section to ask these questions but here goes. Last night a raccoon attacked my chickens before they went in and before we got home for me to shut the gat. he killed one of the smaller hens and then attacked My big buff rooster. He bled a lot on the wattle and just wants to keep his head down. eyes swollen shut. I cant get him to drink or eat and I see a splintered area at the side of his beak. The other is a hen who seems pretty perky for the looks of her wounds. All on the head also. eyes swollen but the worst is her beak is splintered upper and lower part broken off. she drinks and swollows . Now the flies are laying eggs on her head near the eyes. I am at my wits end here. she has the will, but what about that beak and he looks pretty good and no will. A big beautiful guy too. I have use Neosporin and vet rx and put a wound cover where I can of their face called emt gel. If they have to be killed then I cant do it. and then hubby will have to do the job. does there sound like there is any hope for the two of these. I don't want them to suffer but want to give them a chance. your reply will really be appreciated. sorry if I have this in the wrong place if so hope it will be directed where it belongs . thank you donna

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Hi Donna! Sorry about your flock. You will want to post this in our emergency section for more help with these medical issues. Click here and start another thread....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

And you will need to get your chickens in tonight before dark. Once predators attack and taste chicken, they will come back for a while to get another meal. So go out before the coons do for a few nights.

Good luck and I hope your birds are all ok.
hugs.gif

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X3 on TwoCrow's advice. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in treating your birds.

So sorry about your birds, X4 on the Emergencies forum, if you can post pictures of the injuries it may help to figure out what you can do.

PLEASE take care of the maggots on her head first. Maggots can spread inside the body and cause a lot more grief than their original injuries. Chickens generally have great recuperative powers - and probably don't feel pain in the same way we wound. I would really keep them indoors till they are fully healed so no flies lay more eggs in their wounds.

You can use saline solution to clean up their wounds, then use neosporine (with no CAINE)

Give them light, easy to eat foods like, oatmeal, plain yogurt etc. while determining the state of their beaks. Maybe they can be filed down somewhat depending on damage, to make the beak more stable for eating.

thank you for your reply. I got rid of the maggot eggs. But on closer examination the hens beak is shredded up past her nostrils and are not there anymore. So sad because she is perky but there is just an open that her tongue comes out. she does drink from a syringe, but cant exist like that. It makes me sick. the rooster seems a little more alert, but was able to lift his head and his beak is splintered on the underside up the side and straight up the middle so I don't think it is fixable. one side that is splintered works separately from the other side. I hate raccoons. My chickens are large standard cochins, very sweet and follow you around you they are really pets. again thank you. I cant do the dirty deed so will have to take them to be euthanized. again thank you donna

Back
Top Bottom