Gone broody then quit !!!

Triplell

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
Brainerd, MN
I have a hen that went broody then she quit. She had 22 eggs in her nest but she never sat on them. She was the only hen in this pen so I know it was just her eggs. Does this happen often? Their were chickens in her pen as well, did this attribute to her not sitting on them? The chickens used there nest boxes and stayed away from then duck as she would attack anything that came close to her nest. These eggs have been in the nest for 20 days. I put a game cam on her just to see if she was sitting but she just garded them. Any add info would help . Thanks:idunno

i dunno either, I have a hen a barred rock that I think wants to go broody. she pecks me every time I go near the nest but only sits beside the eggs not on them!! Maybe she is confused about what she is suppose to do!! I also had a silkie hen go broody in December and she did sit on them. I moved her eggs out of the coopbecause I was afraid the other hens would kill the chicks, I guess she didn't like that cause she stopped sitting on them. Live and learn. I know this didn't answer your question, but I just wanted to let you know that mine is doing almost the same thing! Good Luck :)

With ducks, many of them are only semi-broody. They feel it, they really want to sit on that nest, and then they lose it.

Normal domestic duck stuff. I have four that get pretty broody, but there's no drake at this point, so I don't know if they would see it through. Still, two have actually gone for about 30 days sitting mostly, but they will get up off the nest for short breaks. They tag team a nest.

Back
Top Bottom