Gone Country

BullChick

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop in zone 5
I will not deny that I have been thinking about chickens, but it was a "later on" thing. I wanted pygmy goats first, and that was still a few years off.
Then I heard them peeping at Tractor Supply .... I am now a week into chicken farming. I only have six, but everyday that number seems smaller and smaller. What do they call it? Chicken math?
I just saw a video on how the chicks get treated before being shipped. I will NOT buy them from a large company again. I think I will hatch my own, or find someone nearby.
Anyhoot, here I am! A proud momma waiting to take the chicks on the Harley (No, I am not kidding. Our dogs and fish have all ridden!).

welcome-byc.gif

Baby goats are a big handful! Trust me I know!
yippiechickie.gif

How old are your chickens??
Do you mean they dissapear as in a fox came?
th.gif

My babies are a week old. I already have one that is feathering out! I am still trying to be patient about the number of males vs females. I am praying (daily. God is laughing at me!) for at least 4 girls. I really should have gotten more than six chicks.
THAT is what "that number gets smaller and smaller" means. I want more and more chickens. They say you should never build your coop according to the number you have. You will be re-building within a year.
Yesterday was their first time outside (temps were up to 87). The dog was very happy. He got to greet them on his own terms. They are too young (I assume) to care that a dog is nosing them. I feel that a dog is still a wild animal, and will always be nearby in case, but the dog is only ten pounds, and afraid of his shadow. I expect him to become my helper in the mornings when I go to greet the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom