Gonna Beat my rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by terrilhb, Jun 16, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] He is a bad rooster at times. He will be 1 yr old next month. He is sweet with me and sweet to his girls most of the time. His girls are 5 months and 4 months. BUT he is not always nice to one. The other day he decided to try and mate with the 4 month old. She wanted no part of it. [​IMG] So he grabbed her by the neck and started slamming her on the ground. I yelled SodaPop stop it. I ran into the run and beat his hiney. (NO I did not hurt him) He kept running away and I kept chasing him fussing at him. After that I left him alone and he was being sweet again. Than yesterday I hear my 5 week old guinea hollering and there he is trying to mate with it. So I yelled at him again. UUUGGGHHHHH what is his problem? Is this normal behaviour? I have another rooster with 4 month old hens and he does not do that to them.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I better not comment I don't want to be the first one to get a Infraction. LOL.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    One year old roos can be especially randy. pushing him off the back of the hen when he is trying to mate is a good way to show your dominance. Tet it probably will not stop him from trying when you are not around. I think their hormones do calm down some when they are older, but this is part of the social order. That is why it is good not to have too many roosters around the hens.

4. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks. He is the only one with those hens. I have 3 roosters. That one and 1 other are RIR's and the other is a Minorca. I really love him and did not want to eat him. My DH said it was normal and not to worry. [​IMG] But I worry about everything. LOL> I did not hurt him though. Just popped his butt. Silly rooster.

5. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    I think another part of the problem is that, like any young guy, he may just be forgetting the part about wooing the girls and just wants to get down to business instead. They aren't too keen on responding to those sorts of demands and then he gets frustrated and angry. [​IMG] Boys will be boys; show him that you are the top chicken and keep pushing him off the hens and he will eventually calm down as he ages too.

6. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Quote:Yeah I found it slightly misleading too.. JK

7. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of your advice. Sorry I mislead some people. Did not mean to. I would never hurt an animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by