Gonna do in some coturnix, anthing i should know?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Aug 22, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I'm gonna process some extra males this week. there are 9 i think i will do 7? is there anything i need to know?just kill and gut and throw in ice water like chickens? i may try to pluck a couple (curious about skin vs skinless), but most will probably be skinned. any help would be appreciated. they are over 7 weeks now, was gonna wait till the weekend when they were 8 weeks but can't see part of a week making that much difference lol
    Thanks
    Sib

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Hey Sib,
    I fill a gal jug with water and take a few paper towels out with me. The gal of water is for washing the bird and my hands after the bloody part is done with each bird. The bird then goes in the ice water as you describe. I do all this while standing by a picnic table. A 5 gal bucket with a trash bag in it for all the parts you want to get rid of, is a handy thing to have too. I skin the bird and use poultry shears to cut down each side of the back bone. Makes the whole deal go quick. Good luck, Bill

3. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    any recommended chilling time?

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Nope. Skin it wrap in bacon ,get a cold one ,fire up the pit , & turn on some Merle .

5. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Nope. Skin it wrap in bacon ,get a cold one ,fire up the pit , & turn on some Merle .

Dam that sounds like the recipe for a good day don't it!!!
    [​IMG] Bill

6. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Double post....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by