Gonna eat this silkie

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BairleaFarm, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Ive got three of these roosters. This is the biggest of the three. Hes about eating size. Too bad hes not crested or hed be a good breeder. Ill be anxious to see how the black meat taste. Anyone else eaten them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Noooooo!!!!! Don't eat him! [​IMG]

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Did you just pull him out of the washing machine??? No wonder he's mean.... [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Go ahead and chow down............... why not try it. I did some years ago and although the silkie meat is a gross looking and small as the live bird, the black meat was still pretty good once you got past the look on your plate. Chef's say you eat with your eyes first and if your diet was all silkie you'd starve LOl.

your pic...........
    Silkie rooster combs always look like someone just stuck a used wad of chewing gum on their face.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Dude, maybe this should go on the meat chickens thread? By the way, my Chinese friend says the black meat tastes 'weird'...

6. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Noooooo!!!!! Don't eat him! [​IMG]

I know But i cant afford chickens that do produce eggs or meat. I dont want him to taint my large fowl hens. If anyone in the area wants him or his brothers they are more than welcome :)

7. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have four roos that I am going to be throwing in with my "process" coop. I tried selling them to the Chinese restaurant but they didn't want to process them. I heard that "black bone chickens" are the Chinese equivalent to our chicken noodle soup cure all. Mine are all hatchery stock with funky combs (wavy straight combs - like a combination of walnut and straight). Only one has good leg feathering and him and another are bearded.

8. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I know about the comb. hes loud. He crows the same as the my columbian and barred rock rooster twice his size.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:The Orientals kill for those birds, they say it has medicinal purposes, but they say that about almost any really gross tasting food to justify eating it LOL. Seriously they go bananas over silkie meat I bought some at an auction once for the soul purpose of selling to some Korean customers of mine and they paid stupid $$$ cash for the roosters I paid $1.50 for.

10. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Quote:The Orientals kill for those birds, they say it has medicinal purposes, but they say that about almost any really gross tasting food to justify eating it LOL. Seriously they go bananas over silkie meat I bought some at an auction once for the soul purpose of selling to some Korean customers of mine and they paid stupid $$$ cash for the roosters I paid $1.50 for.

really i'm asian my parents say black chicken taste good but never stated medicinal purposes, or maybe different asian ethnics have different view

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by