GONNA GET ME SUM DUCKIES!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jmanvanatta, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Jmanvanatta

Jmanvanatta Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Ok so if all goes according to plands i will have my duckling by the end of the week! HAHA finaly! Well i have some questions.
    What bedding should i use after newspaper for the first few days? Is a mixed flock of pekins and Kacki cambells a good idea? What food brand is best?

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    (make sure the newspaper doesnt slide around, and isnt too slick. your gonna end up with splayed legs.)

I would use shavings, you can buy them in bags at the farm store, they say its for horses. you can even use that for the first few days.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I really don't care for newspaper. I'd go with at least straw. Or pine shavings. I have used thick layers of newspaper on top of cold concrete, and under thick straw, but above poster is correct, it will be slippery to your ducks, plus it will absorb water and stay wet, which isn't good either for long periods.

4. rubberduckies

rubberduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    Pine shavings are great but I have heard that cedar is harmful to ducks. (Just throwing that out there). I have runners, Rouens, and a Pekin. They're still babies but get along great. I feed mine nutrena nature wise chick starter. It's unmedicated with 18% protein.

5. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    I use alfalfa hay for bedding. They seem to love it. I only have a duck and a drake so not a lot to clean. I pick out the clumps of poop every morning and fluff the bedding and the replace the whole thing as needed. Ventilation is key! I use flock feed for them.

6. sagenhoney

sagenhoney Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    I just got 6 ducklings today...they are so adorable. So I too am a newbie in the duck world.

[​IMG]

7. bluejeans

bluejeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    wonderful

the more ducks wanted kept or used ----------- the greater demand for ducks .. [​IMG]

plus they are the most fun of all ---------- to have, i think .

Minnesota exten service suggested using peat moss or wood chips or ground corn cobbs .. i found peatmoss works the best for me. last much longer before you have to change it..
    And if there is a water spill peatmoss absorbe it quickly so ducklings stay dry and dont get chilled .
    shreaded news paper would be better than the slick sheet newspaper if a person ( had) to use newspaper
    for bedding.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Jmanvanatta

Feb 16, 2012
    Got them! [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, precious!

Would you be willing to use some old towels, or other material that is a bit more grippy for their feet? Ducklings need that so they don't get spraddle-leg. Just a heads-up.

What did you decide on for a waterer?

More pics when you can!!! [​IMG]

10. Jmanvanatta

Feb 16, 2012
    can i use aspen for bedding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by