Gonna let my broody hen "Adopt"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheTwoRoos, May 28, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I was given permission that I could let our hen sit.But,chances are her eggs may not even hatch,so I was just gonna buy her some baby chicks.

What I was told is to wait till hers are ready to hatch,then introduce the chicks.I am gonna get at least 5.2 for me,3 for her.
    This isn't her first time sitting (She's done it 4 times and it's always in may.)

She did have the experience of having one chick under her along time ago,when she very first laid,her sister went broody along with her,and I thought her sister was gonna make a better mother.So,sis got all the chicks.

Could you give me more steps on the chicks and broody adopting?

2. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    What's up with the eggs she's sitting on?

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's best if the chicks are day-olds, but it could work if they're less than a week old. After that, they don't recognize that they need a mother and aren't as likely to bond to her. When you say you're getting 2 for you and 3 for her, does that mean you're planning on brooding two of them? Why not just let her take care of them all? Saves you the trouble of brooding and makes integration easier for everyone. I've had the best luck with a broody adopting babies when I have slipped them under her at night with as little light and fuss as possible, and removing the eggs at that time. Integration seems to work best if you can just let her and the babies in with the flock when they're freshly hatched or a few days old. Mama should be cranky enough that the others will steer clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by