Gonna lose his feet...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pent, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Pent

Pent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    My Bantam Wyandotte rooster is a suicidal idiot, and as such he looks like he is going to lose both of his entire feet to frostbite. This is the second time he's nearly killed himself, the first time he sat outside in a freezing rain storm huddled in a corner, while both his girls sat in the door of the warm, dry coop wondering why he was still outside. This time they were in the shed hutch; really just a modified china cabinet in our shed, and he decided to spend 2 -20 nights in a row sleeping out on a slight ledge with his feet exposed, rather than in the nice, warm section with a light and layers of fluffy soft shavings. He also steps in the water if given any opportunity, so that may have been a factor. Anyway one foot is black below the ankle joint, and I can't get a look at the other because he prefers to stand on it, but it's not much better off.
    He's still eating, and has finally accepted huddling for warmth, but it is too late for his feet. Should I cull him, or is there any hope in keeping him till spring to see if he can fertilize some eggs and replace himself? I'm concerned he won't be able to hold onto a hen with no feet, but he really is such a handsome guy...

2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    If you really really want to breed him, you'll have to do it artificially. There are also designs to make a chicken sling once he gets to the point he can't walk around on his own. It would hold him upright and all he could do is sit there, eat, drink and poo. This hardly seems like a life for a chicken and I would rather cull him.

3. Pent

Pent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I was afraid of that; its a shame. But i don't want him to suffer if he's not going to be able to function after.

4. rjgchicken

rjgchicken New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    Mine had this problem with one of his feet, I took him inside for warmth and it took about 15 hours but the leg just fell off by itself. It was nice because I didn't have to amputate or cull him but I'm still not sure if he'll survive. I have pretty high hopes as long as he doesn't get an infection. He actually doesn't seem to be in pain so take yours somewhere warm and let him sit for a while see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by