Gonna Play Army today !

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cluckcluckcharlie, Sep 20, 2010.

1. cluckcluckcharlie

cluckcluckcharlie Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Well, this is my first year of raising chickens. In the last 2 weeks I have lost 5, 7 week old chicks... 2 rir and 3 beautiful wyandotte. Roomie has cats... to many to mention which I was pretty sure is the KILLERS. We have a fenced in back yard.. pretty small but 15 birds have plenty of room to roam. Roomie says when cats are chasing the chicks... they are just playing, they wont hurt them. They haven't while we were out there. Turn your back one minute ( long enough to use the Rest Room) and that's when 3 of the 5 have come up missing. Well, yesterday after finding the 5th bird, I've had enough. There it was, just outside the fence, 2 feet 1 wing and what looked like a neck. Made me sick. Thought about putting it in roomies car, but then figured nah... just let the cats come up missing, and let her find them in the shape they will be in. Today I called into work... Took a vacation day. I'm just gonna play too. Was thinking about army... but now I think I will just play firing squad. I cant deal with this much longer. My chicks are my babies and to see some domesticated little cat do what they do. Worst part is... I have to hunt them because when roomie is gone, they know they're in trouble and stay out of sight till she gets home. Anyone have any other suggestions? Heaven forbid her POOR CATS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT! I no long have any use for cats what so ever. Anyone wanna take bets that after the cats are gone... my chickens wont be?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Get rid of the roomie and the cats. Once you start shooting the cats the roomie may shoot you right back. If roomie can't keep the cats up tell roomie to pack up.

3. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Roomies house so I cant quite get rid of her. Like I said, she's got so many cats.... hasn't even missed the first 3, and that was even when I wasn't 100% positive what was getting the chicks. I'm still only 99.5% sure, but that's close enough for me. Outside the fence, under the propane tank... ( where 3 of the cats lay all day ), and leaving only the parts that other posts have said, legs and maybe wings. I dont know if a cat is like other animals... once the taste of blood, they keep coming back. I know one thing, I'm not gonna find out. THEN on top of that I had to sit there while I saw the darn cat clean itself up after the fine meal. ANYONE WANT A CAT OR MY ROOMIE? I can understand loosing a chick if it were a wild animal doing it, but I just cant deal with the thought of some "gentle, loving, undergrown, mutated, LION OR TIGER thinking they are gonna get away with it. [​IMG]

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    move... sounds to me the cats has more right to be there....

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    or get a better enclosure for your chickens...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    LOL... Wont need a better enclosure when the cats are gone. Chicks were here before the last 11 kittens in the past 2 weeks. [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Years ago I used to rent out part of my house to help pay the mortgage. I always had 2 roommates in the far end of my house. Most of them I liked very much, some of them I just liked, but none of them did I dislike. My roommates were always respectful to my property, though.

You are disrespectful to your landlord's property and should be thrown out on your ear. I don't particularly care for cats, but you have no right to do anything to animals that do not belong to you. If your birds are being lost then that is YOUR problem and YOUR failing. You know your landlord has cats and that the cats are possibly eating your birds, so instead of coming to BYC and whining about how you keep losing birds to your "Roomie's" cats why don't you work on some secure run space for them? Instead of threatening to perform acts that sound suspiciously like animal cruelty, why don't you keep a better eye on your birds? And lastly, instead of trying to destroy your landlord's property why don't you go out and find a place to live where the house pets are not a problem?

Your post disgusts me.

8. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:X10

9. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Roomie started with 4... decided she wanted them outside.... thus they drew in more strays. How many times do you think they would breed before taking over? Just so you know... there are now 32 cats outside... How many does "roomie" claim? 4, got that? 4... the 4 she but outside. Not haveing fixed or shots. She now says "I wish I had never started". So before you go on the destroying roomies property kick... I think she has to claim them as property first. And if you read any of these post... everyone is talking about how they are loosing their birds... its called Preditors and Pests. I am not the only one on here talking about how I loose my birds. These are not "house pets". I am NOT the only person here talking about taking care of the problem in a way that you call animal cruelty. AND without me paying my rent... she would loose her house, and when I moved in she had no cats so this is not the situation that I moved in to. I'm done now... thank you and have a purrrrfect day.

10. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    maybe you could u se a paint ball gun like some of the others have suggested = will maybe scare the cats and let roomie know that it is her cats doing it... and if its a cat she doesnt claim - maybe you can drop it at the pound for her? at least she won't be in denial about it.

it really isn't right to hurt the cats for following their instincts... you need to better protect your babies also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by