gonna try to hatch some turkeys HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickabator, Oct 22, 2008.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I need some help here. I have a brinsea octagon 20 advance incubator. with auto turn where the eggs stand on their end. well I need some info. can I use my auto turner for my turkey eggs? I read somewhere that you can't incubate turkey eggs on their end because it damages their legs. anyone have any info on how I should incubate them? I just got my eggs today and can't set them til tomorrow. what temp should my bator be on and the humidity? I have done hundreds of chicken eggs but never turkey eggs.
    I need HELP!!!!!!!!!

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I've always incubated my turkey eggs on end in my sportsman till day 25 when they go in the hatcher on their sides. Never noted any leg problems. I run temp and humidity the same as chicken eggs, they are usually in there together. Turkey eggs just take a week longer.
    db

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Agree I hatch mine the same, even at the same time with other eggs, 28 days to hatch.

Most of the leg trouble, are from slick floors in incubator,or brooders.

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:You better do better than try to hatch those eggs!!!!!!!! [​IMG] I know where they came from. As was already stated we use the same temp as the chicken eggs in our sportsman. 99.8 to 100F (depending on which thermometer you look at) and RH about 50%. Stop turning on day 25 and bring the RH up to about 65%-ish and then....... here a turkey, there a turkey everywhere a turkey! We are glad you got them ok and hope they had a good trip to you. We have our fingers crossed.

Steve & Sharon
    in NC

5. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I am putting them in the bator this morning around 11 that will make 24 hours they have rested . I promise I will do my best. I have always had good hatches with this bator. We bought some nhr eggs on ebay and out of 12 eggs 11 hatched, then out of 12 blh 11 hatched on my last hatch of delaware eggs out of 16 we had 11 hatch the others weren't fertile. I don't think that is that bad. now I need another bator BAD!!!
    oh the eggs are beautiful!!! thanks I hope I have such a good hatch of these.

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Just keep saying "Everybody loves a turkey" [​IMG]

Steve & Sharon

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:Just keep saying "Everybody loves a turkey" [​IMG]

Steve & Sharon

EVERYBODY loves a TURKEY!!! Good luck! I've got one good looking Beltsville white egg at 17 days, the others never did anything, still have one maybe.

I'll be trying again with Turkeys next month. Steve knows where they are coming from for me too. [​IMG]

8. chickabator

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    EVERYBODY LOVES TURKEY!!!!!!!!! wish me luck on this hatch. If I can find another incubator I might try to win more eggs!!!!

9. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I read that Beltsville Whites were threatened (less than 500 breeding pair in the US) a couple of years ago. I'd imagine that with some of the large hatcheries breeding them now, the numbers have greatly increased. Are they still somewhat rare?

10. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you know what variety of turkey eggs you're hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by