1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good additional pets for a backyard?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by furrybollocks, Sep 22, 2015.

1. furrybollocks

furrybollocks Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Hey there,
    My mom sent me a picture today of a beautiful male peacock and asked if we could get one. She was really disappointed when I said no since we live in the city, and then again when she asked if we could get koi! Our pond is just too small. I would love to be able to offer her some alternative animals that are equally as eye catching for our yard, but I have no idea where to start. We have five hens, a rabbit, three dogs, and many fish. Any suggestions?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Pigeons and doves-they come in many shapes and sizes-look at pictures of pigeon breeds before dismissing the idea-some are quite eye catching.

3. furrybollocks

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    I've actually researched pigeons and doves! My biggest concern for that would be find a place for a small aviary, though I'm sure there's a corner or two that I could take up.

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Pigeons should be kept in a coop setting. Many varieties love to fly; even do acrobatics. Others are more ground dwellers only flying short distances. I used to raise pigeons not long ago. Rollers are great fun to watch fly. Fantails and pouters are unique.
    Look at pictures of oriental frills and nuns; pretty birds. And pigeons are hardy and easy to care for.

5. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Maybe your mother would like these-Golden Pheasant. Pictures off the internet.

[​IMG]

6. furrybollocks

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Pigeons, doves, or song birds would be beautiful choices. If she asks again then I'll bring it up to her.

Those Golden Pheasents are beautiful! I did quite a bit of reading after your recommendation, but I could never quite find out if you can free range them or not. It would just be my yard, not traditional free range, and my fence is about 7 feet high. What do you think?

7. MakelaNJoe

MakelaNJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Northern California
    i recently got a pair of Nigerian dwarves they are great! just like a dog! they are allowed with in city limits in most counties.

8. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    I have never had golden pheasant; only looked and drooled. But I suspect they are good fliers and would need to be in a run. Type your question into the search box at the top of this page-there are posts on this subject.

9. furrybollocks

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    From what I've found, most people keep their Goldens in the coop full time. That's a little disappointing, but since my chickens could get them sick it would probably be best. Id have to build another coop for them.

10. furrybollocks

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    What do you use your dwarves for, Makela?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by