1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good/Affordable Running Shoes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BruceAZ, Jun 9, 2016.

1. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    [​IMG]

I don't know much about shoes so i would like some assistance on finding a good pair of running shoes

100 yard dash, 1.5 mile run, etc..

that is comfortable to stand in for a long time or to run in .. consumers' pick type of shoes? and best places to get them ?

price around $60-$80

Thank you [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    new balance
    asics

either of these will have quality shoes in your price range. if you look online, many times you can find shoes normally exceeding $100 in this price range.

word of caution, if you are planning to start a new running program, don't skip on quality. sometimes you have to pay for quality. The last thing you need when you start a new program, is an excuse not to continue.

3. prostar

prostar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    Alright. I'm going to throw my two cents in!

1. Try shoes on. Lots of them. Jog around the store. Don't worry about looking like a doofus. If you feel any rubbing or ouch, don't do it.

I've had luck with saucony, asics as well. Watch for sales - last year's models work just as well ;)

4. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016

i heard of New Balance

but not asiss though..

what's a good place to get them ?

5. prostar

prostar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal

Still learning stores down here. Check your local sporting goods stores. I got my runners on a wicked sale at a place called big 5. Don't know if you have them there.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I pretty much buy New Balance - I am a walker . Everywhere I go, I see folks wearing New Balance. There were better YEARS ago when made in USA and they used to brag about it. Not so anymore - so you have to try a few styles to find one sized right & comfortable

The walking shoes are just too stiff and flat for me. I have a high instep and tend to roll my feet to the outside. I find running shoes and trail runners are the best for me. But even then lots of styles have a chunk or two out of the bottom like in the photo at beginning of this thread. They are nothing but trouble, sooner or later you get a stone or rock imbedded n the bottom and have to stop & dig it out. Very uncomfortable _ I avoid them like the plague.

Sometimes you can get a good buy at Marshall's and TJ Maxx if you have them. Either clearance or even off the shelf. Kohls has them often for me but, their prices are insane.
    I have to wait for a sale and hopefully when they have a 20% off guest day & senior discount (15%). Then I still may have to pay $ 45-50.

My sister goes to a New Balance store and pays a left lung but, she can afford it and swears she is very hard to fit.

Be sure to try any shoes on with the socks you would be wearing. Also you can make good adjustments by the way you lace them up., tighter, looser, to just needing fine tuning over sensitive spots.

7. BruceAZ

May 18, 2016

I can't remember the last time i bought a pair of shoes.. is New Balance the new Nike or Sketcher of sort ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by