Good all purpose feed????????/

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicks for better health, Jun 11, 2008.

1. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Right now I have all my chickens and chicks together. I have a couple pullets that are about to start laying 4 week old chicks and broilers that are 8 weeks. What can I feed that will benefit all of the chickens?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Just making a guess.

Something non medicated, about 17% to 20% protein content, oyster shells on the side.

3. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    A bit of a dilemma...

Usually layers, chicks, and broilers eat different feed. The broilers won't gain as much weight on layer feed. The layers may get too fat on broiler feed. The chicks would probably find any pellets to awkward to swallow yet.

I suppose you could feed a high protein layer "mash" to all of them, although it is a bit of a compromise. If your not worried about getting your broilers fattened up quickly, or your chicks growing faster, a 18% layer mash should work for all of them. The mash the chicks could swallow still, maybe even a crumble as they get older.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use Purina Flock Raiser which is an all purpose type feed. I keep oyster shell out for my laying hens.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Layer has way too much calcium for chicks. I'd feed something like Flock Raiser, unmedicated. It'll work for everybody at about 20% protein. Add oyster shell on the side in a hopper for the hens.

6. warsaw

warsaw Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    rural Ohio
    Wont the other chickens eat the oyster shells as well?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:No, they generally only eat what they need. Even roosters in the same house will bypass the oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by