Good all round breed for eggs and pet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SportTees, Jan 20, 2009.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

What is a good alround chicken breed. One that is gentle and dog like but also broody. I have a partridge rock that is sweet and lays o.k.. I have heard good things about sebright bantam, silkie, polish, and cochins?? I just am not sure what to get??

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Silkies make great pets and broodies but are poor layers. So if you want eggs, they aren't a good choice for that. Many of the bantam breeds are good pets, most will set eggs, and there are some bantam breeds that are great layers as well (RIR bantam would be a good layer...not sure about pet though)

3. jprinc44

jprinc44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    south-central Va.
    I have some Dominique hens who are great layers and very broody as well. They are very docile, but are also nice looking birds. As a whole, they are probably the broodiest hens I have out of 6 or 7 different breeds. HTH Janet

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Bantam cochins are super pets and lay well also. They are little setting machines too so that would be my choice if I did not mind bantams. [​IMG]

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My JG hens are very nice.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    OEGB!!! They rule!! I likes them and just about any other bantam...but alas I must admit there is somehting to be said about those banty roosters...some of them are a little wired

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Jersey Giants, mine are good pets, but not really broody. Silkies are great pets, and the best broodies, IMO.

8. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I have Buff Orpingtons follow me around like a puppy. They are supposed to be good broody hens, the ones I have had, haven't been able to prove that, so far (They got killed by vermin or a dog). They are good layers though. Mandy, our current BO is very tame. she comes over to be picked up and follows me around the yard. She is a good layer and we'll find out this spring, if she wants to be a Momma. Most of our prior BO's also seemed to like being picked up and sitting on our laps.

9. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Brahmas and Australorps!

10. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I did some more research and think I'm getting

Buff orp- Seem to be good layers and pets
    partridge rock- The one I have now is sweet
    blk silkie- Everyone seem to argee these are good momma's and pets
    gold sebright- I just like the way they look

Look like a good list to cover all the bases?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by