Good allround bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wv countryboy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. wv countryboy

wv countryboy New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    What hertiage breed would be the best for eggs and meat and would be able to reproduce and has good mothering traits. I thinking about the partridge rock?

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have heard that Delaware and Speckled Sussex are both good heritage breeds, but I only have a Delaware, and she is still young, so I don't know that from experience myself.

3. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I have Partridge Rocks from a hatchery and they are not growing nearly as fast as my other breeds. Plus they are a bit on the aggressive side, but that's probably just the bloodline, I hope.

Wyandottes and Orpingtons are good dual purpose breeds. A lot of this is personal preference though, these are what I prefer.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd recommend the Delaware and Dominique, both American heritage breeds. The Sussex is also a good choice but it is an English heritage breed, not American.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Buff Orpington are large birds, large to jumbo sized eggs, good year round layers, good mothers and sitters, great table birds.

The Sussex lay a smaller egg and don't lay that well in the winter, same with Dark Cornish but the DC is a really good meat bird.

Our fav breed would be the Cuckoo Marans (french heritage bird) very calm natured bird, great layers, good sitters and mothers and by far the best tasting table bird.

See our website for pics as to what they look like

Steve in NC

6. katkat92

katkat92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Oregon
    I love buff orps, and they're so friendly!

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I love my dominique. She totally rocks.

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Delawares should be good, but they aren't a broody breed. You can always keep some broody type hens around just to hatch eggs for you. You'd just have to isolate a few of your best Dels for a few days to collect eggs for hatching, when one of the broodies has "the settin' spell" upon her. When I isolate for egg collecting, once I get the eggs for the day, I let them out with the rest of the flock. I take them off the roosts at night and stick them back in the iso pen at night, until I have as many eggs as I want.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Buff Orp or Partridge Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by