Good Amount of eggs per bird and feed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, May 29, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have 11 hens all under 8 months old and half have been laying for two months and the other half have been at it for about 1 month. I am getting 9 eggs daily from 11 hens and they eat about 2 pounds of feed daily they do forage allot and are pretty fat ladies [​IMG] .

I am charging $3 a half a dozen for eggs [​IMG] I love my neighborhood and all the snoody people living around here just wish I could get 30 hens and make allot of $ [​IMG] but for now its just for fun

So will I make out alright?
    And how is my feed to egg ratio compared to yours?

thanks,
    Henry

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    It depends on your type of feed and how much you pay per pound of feed. Add up the cost of feed for a month or week and then compare it to the amount of money you make on your eggs for the same time period. You should still be getting 3 more eggs a day, with 11 young hens they should all be giving an egg a day(unless you have an ornamental non-laying breed).

-Kim

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    oh these are all kinda nutty breeds. The leghorns, delawares, favorrolles, EE, and amerucanas lay daily [​IMG] and the stupid marans either one is laying the other is not or they lay every other day [​IMG]

4. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    They are young, give them some time. You probably only have one Maran laying and the others haven't started yet. The leghorns are excellent for their feed conversion rate.

-Kim

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    thanks this one might be wierd of somthing she is part of the older group and they all started laying 2 months ago so IDK maybe she is some sorta transexual chicken she is big and lighter colored. HMMMMMMMM but I could have sworn I got two marans eggs in one day so maybe she started and somthing happened and she stoped I guess we will see you are right I guess I just have to give it time.

Thanks,
    Henry

6. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:holy...! *faints*

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2008
  7. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:holy...! *faints*

Oh! I missed the "half a dozen" part!! You should be just fine in feeding your flock without running into the negatives. LOL People around here would think I was really a "crazy" chicken lady charging $6 a dozen. Good for you!!

-Kim

8. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    No Crap!!! $0.50 an egg! can i ship mine for you to sell for me? give me $4 you keep $2 jk
    thats awesome! [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds good to me! I bet you've got your age and youthful vigor on your side to get those eggs sold too. [​IMG]

They sold faster than hot cakes when I was your age and people were ALOT less critical than they are now since I'm an adult.

Happy marketing!

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    People think i am a crazy chicken guy but I am in the suburbs and what is better then knowing exactly where your food comes from I was charging $2.50 for 1/2 dozen but people said it was to cheap [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by