1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good Article on coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by woodmort, Sep 28, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks Woodmort, that was a good read.

3. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Thanks for the link!

We have those big coyote/wolf hybrids here in the piedmont of NC

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Interesting.

The first time I saw a coyote up close and personal here in NH I was stunned by the size of it. I had seen coyotes out west, so I assumed they were the same here as there. Not so. The coyotes I saw here out-weighed my 70 lb. dog by 10+ lbs. Suddenly, I needed to worry about my fairly large dog being attacked by the larger wildlife in the area. It was a startling realization.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yup..we have them here in Western Mass too...
    Actually they den in the sandpitts on my road..

6. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Very true--it is hard to tell someone used to the western version how large these are without their seeing one--I've seen both too. I was talking to my neighbor--2 miles down the road--yesterday and he told me there is a huge one in the pack in this area. I haven't caught any on any of my 3 game cams<knock on wood> but we hear them "singing" all the time.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's one my son shot while deer hunting. We usually get a few each season. If we see one its a priority to shoot it along with the hogs. The yotes are hard on the fawns. The hogs are hard on our hay fields.[​IMG]

8. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    last year a nearby hunter said he saw a huge dog and said it was too big for sure to be a coyote, but he doesn't know....................

very good article thanks

i wonder how the coy-dog would stand up size wise to a true coyote and a coy wolf...............

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm, seems like #4 buckshot should be upgraded. I haven`t seen any big ones, but I`m sure they must be around. Good article Mort, thanks..........Pop

10. woodmort

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yeah, Pop, and I doubt a .22 will have much effect either unless you can get close enough to stick the muzzle into the coyote's ear. I have a taxidermist friend who told me that most of his mounts within the last few years have been coyotes--I like the quote in the article though about how killing them is like mowing the lawn, seems so true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by