Good backyard breeds for the cold northeast?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CautiousVenturer, Dec 1, 2011.

1. CautiousVenturer

CautiousVenturer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi all,

I've been doing a little research on picking breeds, and I was thinking Dominiques and Easter Eggers, but someone mentioned Dominiques might be on the noisy side? Are Barred Rock better? I think they're so pretty!

I'm looking for quiet, cold and heat tolerant, reliable producers (just for family use), and friendly or at least docile!

Any breed advice?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Orps -, friendly, good layers but like to go broody.
    Speckled sussex - very friendly, pretty, decent layers
    Delawares - excellent layers, personable but not lovey-dovey
    EE's - excellent layers, active but friendly, pretty eggs
    Welsummers - good layers of gorgeous eggs
    Lots of others to, including rocks.
    The henderson chicken chart may interest you, it lists hardiness, temperament and laying characteristics for many breeds
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

3. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    [​IMG]

I have Plymouth Barred Rocks, Golden Comets, Amerucanas, and bantam Cochins and a Silkie. All do well in our cold winters in northern Vermont.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If you can stand the name, get some BUCKEYES!! bred to be cold hardy with pea combs, but do well for the most part here in the heat of the south. Any chickens can be on the noisy side, Doms with their rose comb would still be on my list of possibilities. Most of your single comb breeds will suffer from frost bite on their combs in extreme cold.

5. oshun55555

oshun55555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Parker Colorado
    I have Light Brahmas ... these chickens seem impervious to our Colorado cold and snow, they lay right through the winter, and took this years heat like champs. Big sweet docile birds, they lay a flesh colored egg. Very quiet, but loud as heck when the hens do their egg laying song, but for the most part very quiet gentle giant girls and the roosters are pretty docile too, but like all roosters they crow. When they come running to see what I have they look like fat old ladies running in bedroom slippers. [​IMG]

6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Chanteclers - bred in Canada, tiny combs, dense feathering.

7. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    You want something with a small comb. Large combes will freeze.

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:And small wattles.

Chanteclers, Buckeyes, Brahmas, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Silkies should all do well in a cold climate. Dominiques, and RIR's will also do well, but the wattles may freeze. If you have a waterer that does not allow them to dip their wattles into that will help.

ETA: In an ice storm, Silkie crests may freeze which can cause considerable damage to the bird.

Ryan

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by