Good Bad & Ugly- I'm stressed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by livingcolor, Aug 6, 2008.

1. livingcolor

livingcolor Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2007
    NW Arkansas Ozarks
    Good news, 5 healthy chicks hatched- 3 New Hampshire Reds and 2 Australorps- by broody Buff Orp.[​IMG] Bad news, two others didn't survive: one apparently had not absorbed yolk, the other pipped and then died inside the dried out membrane over night (it has been horribly hot here).[​IMG] Ugly news, mama tried to kill oldest Australorp chick by pecking it near it's eyes on both sides! :mad: I don't think it will make it...it was bleeding when I found it and has a nasty wound. Do you think it is because the chicks "changed color"- the three NHR's hatched first, even tho all were the same age? Needless to say, I took all the chicks from the broody. She is still sitting on 2 eggs. It is day 21, so I will leave her for a while. This all started out so fun and sweet...did I screw up by giving her such different chicks to hatch? I am trying to still love her, but it is hard right now. The scurrying, cheeping chicks, usually a surefire grin maker, are only mildly cheering, with that poor little guy struggling off to himself..........Boo hoo. What a crazy roller coaster ride- elation and nausea all in the same day.

2. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    well u gotta take the good with the bad on these things its nature. as for why ur hen picked on it well u never know it just happens sometimes i kinda doubt its due to color but hey like i said u never know i know im not to helpful with this answer but it goes without saying mother nature does as she pleases and sometimes u dont know why, but keep the faith and good luck on the ones u do still have,

3. livingcolor

Feb 20, 2007
    NW Arkansas Ozarks
    Thanks so much for your kind words. The lil victim is still alive this morning peeping and walking around although his/her eye seem closed. The wound has dried but I am concerned about infection, obviously. All 4 others are as happy as only lil chicks can be- running around then falling face first into the litter asleep. I am still trying to like the hen...[​IMG]

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    you might want to get some Terramycin ointment for the eye to prevent infection...they have it at Tractor Supply here and at our local feed store....
    Best of luck with the others....[​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

5. livingcolor

Feb 20, 2007
    NW Arkansas Ozarks
    I gently rubbed some antibiotic on the lil guys eye with a q-tip and it popped open. Also put a bit on his owie. He seems to be doing okay despite his trauma. No pips yet on the remaining eggs- guess I'll wait a few more days. Thanks everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by