1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good bird bad tummy

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by supernix, Apr 4, 2008.

1. supernix

supernix New Egg

Mar 25, 2008
    Ok well I killed my first chicken and cleaned it and cooked it.
    It was a gross experience but I made it through. Definately not for the faint of heart.

While I did a great job at skinning it feathers and all, but me and the wife just could not hardly stand to eat it after thinking about the fact it was a living clucking chicken four hours prior. [​IMG]

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Maybe next time stick it in the freezer for awhile and let the memory fade. We are getting meat birds in a couple of weeks and I plan on not eating them for a little while so I can mentally "let them go" I'm a softy though. I really like the idea of hormone free, healthy chicken on my dinner table. I'm sure I will get past it once I smell it cooking... lol..cant wait. [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What kind of chicken was it and did you let the meat age? Might be tough if it was old.

4. supernix

supernix New Egg

Mar 25, 2008
    Honestly I have no idea what breed it was at all. I got it from my uncle in law Kenny. He said I could have whatever I caught so I got her and braught her home. She was not very old and was certainly on a nest when I caught her.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's actually not a bad idea!! --an "eating chicken" exchange. . . I had the same problem when I had rabbits. Kinda hard to serve up one I knew well. Unless it was a pest, anyway.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ah, let us know how the eating comes out. If she was on a nest, she was probably at least 5 months old. My guess is it would be pretty tough, yet flavorful if slow cooked.

7. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I am a softy too. I plan on getting some meat birds, but I am going to take them to place to be processed.

I have been mentally preparing myself already. I keep telling myself that my birds will have fresh air, sunlight, and experience being a chicken.

I am finding it harder and harder to eat store bought chicken when I see my own flock running in the back yard and i know the store bought chicken never saw the light of day, had half of it's beak removed, was in a crowed cage it's whole life. That just makes me sad.

Good luck on eating your bird.

8. CuddlesXL

CuddlesXL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2007
    Put it on a rotissory and "set it and forget it." lol
    Just kidding.My kids are the same way,Wife too.
    They won't eat anything we raise.
    I'm just the opposite.i was raised on a farm and grew up with the understanding that livestock is for food.But I agree it dosen't make it any easier. [​IMG]

9. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I've found on "butcher day" that we prefer to eat a vegetarian dinner;)

10. Fearlessphil

Fearlessphil Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    It was a little difficult on the first bird I did a couple weeks ago. However, I got over that a couple days later and was able to eat it. I processed four more of my meat birds today. By the second one, it felt more like a job and the thought of killing the animal did not bother me. Maybe I am a sicko but while cutting them up, all I could think about was how I was going to cook them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by