Good book

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birdgirl, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Hi I just had a recent emergency with my chickens and I was so unprepared. Is there a good book anyone can recommend for me? Or maybe one I can buy from you? Like maybe CHICKEN FOR DUMMIES book? LOL I have been around chickens since I was 3. at least thats and far as I can remember. and I just had my own for oh maybe 5 years. I just want something to refer to. Thanks![​IMG]

2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Check with your local library to see what they have. You can also get books through inter-library loans. If your library is on the Evergreen system, you can check out books from any library on the system.

Look at several books and pick the one(s) that you like the best.
    Personally, I like Gail Damerow.

3. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Since I'm out in the country I have to pay over $100 for a libray card. And I don't want to try to take my 2 little rugrats there. They love to run around in stores so I can only imagine what they would do in there. But Thanks

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Now would be an excellent opportunity to participte in libary activities to teach your young children how to behave in the library and to begin their love of books, reading and learning. Once your children learn to sit quietly at storytime or puppet shows or the hundreds of other activities the library sponosors for children you will be free to browse the stacks and do some reading and chicken learning on your own.

I am not sure how young your children are but it is never too early to start teaching the the love of the library and its wonderful mysteries and delights. My children have been going to the library and learned to be quiet there from birth. My oldest is now nearly 22 and my youngest is 3, they and the children in between love an afternoon at the library.

A public library is always free to browse. [​IMG]

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Quote:I agree, I take a whole load of little kids to the library all the time. They love it! Also, they have so much more to borrow than just books, like computer games, movies, books on tape. It is one of our favorite places! You should try it a couple of times, your kiddos might surprise you.

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

What about Storey's book on raising Chickens? I have one of theirs on LLama's, and its really good. On Amazon.com you can get them used for less than $10 including postage I think.

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:$100!!! [​IMG] I don't blame you for skipping the library! Although I probably pay more than that a year in fines! [​IMG] It's hard when the kids are little, too. As toddlers, mine wore me out, when they got a little older, turns out they have ADHD - no wonder they couldn't hold still!!

Living with Chickens was one of my favorites, but a lot of people swear by Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. Our feed store carries new copies, but you could probably find used copies on Amazon.

Since you're not near a library, you may like www.paperbackswap.com - books are free. I've been a member for 2 1/2 years and it's very well run. My user name is southernbelle on there, too. I don't think they have a lot of chicken books - I have a few wish-listed.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Kids who never visit the library rarely develop a love of books and reading and IMO, never do as well in school. I never heard of paying for a library card in my life.

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:The city I grew up in charges out of towners for library cards, but if you live in the city, you get it for free.
    However... the library won't charge you to visit and read books, so money shouldn't keep you from taking your kids there. My dad used to take my brother and I to the library for story time. They had it every Saturday morning. Dad would go find books for himself while Eric and I were occupied with the story time.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I lived in the library as a teenager. Read 10-15 books each week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by