Good breed for Ohio

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DebFred, Dec 6, 2012.

1. DebFred

DebFred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi All,

I will be starting raising chickens in the spring. We live in the Cincinnati area of Ohio. I would like to know what kind to get to start with. I will start for eggs at first to get in the swing of things, then increase when we start raising for meat. I prefer a non-white chicken. No special reason.

Thank you in advance.

Deb

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Since you are in the Buckeye state, I suggest Buckeyes. This is a dual-purpose breed, meaning good for both eggs and meat, and they are red in color. They look much like the Rhode Island Red, but they have a pea comb.

Buckeyes should meet your needs.

3. kivi

kivi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    buckeyes are good. Look at breeds with small combs or pea combs. They are less likely to get frostbite. wyndottes, americanas or easter eggers (no waddles on the last 2) are good choices. good luck with your hunt

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You have a number of chooses but a few of the better ones would be;
    Rhode Island Reds (Single or Rose Comb), Dominiques, Wyandottes, Chanteclers, Plymouth Rocks, and Buckeyes

Chris

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
  6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Cincinnati is in southern Ohio, so most breeds of chickens will do fine with the weather in that area.

Any good dual-purpose breed will serve the needs that were described. If you aren't sure, get a variety of different breeds to find the ones you like.

7. DebFred

DebFred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank you all so much for the input. I am loving this forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by