Good breeds to go with my bullied hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SwedishDude99, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, so I'm sorry if this is out of place. I have a chicken who is getting repeatedly bullied by her two sisters. They have problems with pecking at her and I have tried everything to get them to stop. I have repeatedly removed her and have built smaller coop as a rehab place just for her because it happened so often. So anyway, having realized that they just will never stop ripping out her feathers, I have decided to give her the rehab coop to live in permanently. I don't want her to have to live out the rest of her life alone though. I want to buy a couple more chickens to keep her company. She has a foot that is messed up, and although it doesn't bug her, it does throw off her balance slightly when roosting because she can not get a super firm hold. She is also an extremely docile chicken, so I am not worried about her being aggressive. So I am looking for some docile chicken breeds that can accompany her for the rest of her life. Also, the coop she will be living in is 4 ft by 4 ft and 2 ft tall. She is allowed free roam of the yard all day, and so will the her new buddies. The other two girls have a coop that is 6ft by 8ft and 6ft tall. Their run is 8ft by 11ft so they don't have a lack of room either. Thankyou to all who can suggest some good breeds for me to get. :)

Forgot to mention: the chicken being bullied is a welsummer.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    silkies are awesome gentle creatures, the hens anyway and if you want bigger a polish hen cant see well enough to fight in my experince

3. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Thankyou, Id be worried that if my welsummer didn't like them at first and did possibly peck one in the head that it could injure or even kill her. Is this something I should be worried about?

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it is possible. all chickens must establish a pecking order so there will be some fighting . i will put a new hen in a separate pen next to each other for a week or so to get used to each other.after quarantine that is.

5. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    thank you. I have always wanted silkies so if I end up deciding on them I will get two.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    too bad your not close, i just had 2 silkie mutts hatch out yesterday. they are soo cute ! and the reason i know you dont live close is because no one does. hahahahah

7. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Hahaha I was gonna ask, how do you know I don't live close? Nevermind then. I don't know where you live, but I'm in Northern California if your anywhere even remotely close to there. I normally drive a long ways to get my pets.

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, you would def. have a drive. im in southern In. i just got a roo from a woman in the bay area

9. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Your right, I would have a drive to get there. That's cool, I lived in the Bay Area less than a year ago until we decided to move to the foothills near sacramento.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chickens do not recognize degrees of kinship. It doesn't matter to a hen who her mother, father, sisters, or brothers are.

Chickens don't tolerate weakness in other flock members. If your hen has a physical impediment it is very likely that any hen or hens her size that you pair her with will soon treat her in the same manner that her two sisters currently do.

Chicken society is never pretty, to human eyes it is bloody, ugly, brutish, and cruel. Because chickens never ever act in a civilized or Christian manner, it is almost impossible to pair the hen that you are concentered about with a gentler kinder flock mate. The best that you can hope for is to furnish her not with a playmate but with a plaything, a hen that she can in her own turn bully, boss, or peck. I am truly sorry if this offends you but I am a plain spoken guy who only believes in telling people the truth, not what they may want to hear. Good luck, and God's speed in your quest.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by