Good breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Thechickenguy13, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Thechickenguy13

Thechickenguy13 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Okay, I already have 5 chickens... Which consist of 3 Rhode Islamd Reds, a Balck Jersey Giant, and a White Leghorn!
    Right now, I'm looking on getting a second "batch" of chickens. I want them to be good egg layers, but also have a fighting chance when it comes to showing them at county or state fairs!

Any suggestions, comments, concerns, ideas?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You have a nice variety. Where do you live, more importantly, what's the climate? Are there hot summers and blizzard winters? Does it rain often? This will help you find chickens suited for your coop.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    When showing chickens, it doesn't matter as much what breed of chicken you get; it matters where you get your chickens. Birds bought from a hatchery will rarely do well at shows, no matter what breed they are. A better choice is to get show-quality birds from local breeders.

If you can find breeders of them nearby, then some breeds that are good egg layers include: Wyandottes of any variety, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, Black Australorps, Javas of any variety, Buff Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks of any variety, Delawares, and (though you already have them), Leghorns of any variety.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. Thechickenguy13

Thechickenguy13 New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Thank you! This should help me on deciding what breeds to get next!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by