Good Brooding Hutch??? (PICTS)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smittenroade, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    What do you think? Would this make a good brooding hutch? I know draft could be a problem because of the cage walls, but I wouldn't put them in here until after their first week. I use a small aquarium for less than week old chicks. Im thinking about putting in two heating lights to make it nice and warm. if you noticed made the roof low hanging, and the panels around a little higher than usual. This is to keep it nice and cozy. [​IMG]

WK1
    [​IMG]
    WK2
    [​IMG]
    WK3
    [​IMG]

2. cairopd1069

cairopd1069 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Cairo, Ga
    I will first say that I am not an expert, but if they are little, make sure they don't get caught up in the chicken wire. It is more expensive, but I used hardware cloth, with the smallest openings. Just my two cents.

3. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks very similar to mine. I have mine divided down the middle in case I need to separate the chicks. I separated the laying chicks from the meat chicks. Have you given thought to the way you will water and feed. I installed a nipple waterer and a trough feeder. The tubing with the nipples ran along the back on wires that would allow me to raise the level of the nipples as the chicks grew. One watering system serviced both sides of the brooder. It worked out very well. The chicks took right to it and it really cut down on the mess. I also ran a piece of cardboard around the inside walls to keep them from pileing and to help cut down on the draft. It was about 12 - 16 inches tall. After the chicks got bigger I could remove the cardboard.

4. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Thanks, great ideas. I might divide it into two, thats not a bad idea. However, I want to leave it big enough to fit the mother too. I did think about hardware cloth but went ahead with chicken wire. I made sure there were no sharp points sticking out or anything and I dont think they are small enough to get through. Thanks for the informative comments! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by