Good broody breeds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frizzle13, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    So what are the best broody breeds you've had?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've heard Silkies,Cochins, and game breeds make excellent broodies. I personally keep ducks so Call and Mallard ducks have made excellent mothers for me.

3. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Silkies, hands down! They can't cover much, but they sure do it often. My second choice is the Cochin bantam. The standard size Cochin also but them being on the heavy side tend to crush eggs more easily. Both breeds tend do go broody often in early spring and then again in the fall and are both very good mama's. Another good choice is game chickens.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I've had silkies, BO, RIR, SLW, BCM, and RSL. Of these the silkies have gone broody an awful lot, but of my birds the buff orpingtons are hands downs the broodiest birds I have. I refer to one as "stupid broody" because she goes broody at least three times over the summer and sometimes in the winter.

I do however, have a small flock, and limited experience. Because of the neighborhood, I can't afford anymore roosters, so the broodies don't get eggs to hatch. Stupid Broody managed to kill two of the three chicks she successfully hatched out....stupid broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by