Good brown-egg layers (BEST large brown egg layers)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by XilverAngel, Sep 19, 2009.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    ANyone know any good brown egg layers? We already have black australorps and RIRs any other good ones? I heard that a lot of poeple have buff orpingtons...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    There are lots of other great brown egg layers like Orpingtons, Sexlinks, and several others, but my personal favorite is Barred Rocks. They are great layers of large brown eggs even in the hot summer, they are the most docile of any breed I have ever had, and sometimes they will go broody for you.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My personal all-time fav is also Barred Rocks. You just can't beat them for consistency, egg size and personality. I've never had one go broody, but I know folks who have.

4. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Oh my goodness. I love how beautiful buff-o's are. BUT they will go broody on a dime. I have never had good luck with them. I always find them hoarding eggs in a corner or a nestbox.

5. lone cedar farm

lone cedar farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Menlo, Ga.
    Quote:I have one barred Rock in the flock and she chatters, clucks, and is always talking up a storm. She is always carrying on a conversation with herself I guess, the others just ignore her [​IMG] she is my favorite by the way!

6. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Wow~ alot of people said Barred Rocks! well, does anyone have an average of about how much eggs a barred rock lays a year? They dont lay in the winter do they? are there any that do? Thanks for all the replies!

7. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    ANyone else?

8. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Sex-Links are very consistent layers of large, brown eggs. Probably the best brown egg layers if you are looking at numbers of eggs laid.

I have BR's and BO's right now....I would say the BR's are somewhat better layers than the BO's, but the BO's are very sweet (more likely to be broody though).

9. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Ok, I think i've got some good replies! So, everyone out there with one of these birds (or both) can answer this question! Would you recommend a Barred Rock, or Black Sex-Link? (My dad would like to go for egg-production, but either one is good [​IMG] ) so, any opinions? [​IMG]

10. ROCKS, white, barred or partridge. I love em' all.

The white rock roos are MASSIVE and very protective of his
    hens.

I think the white rock roos are about the same size as my
    New Jersey Giants, but the Giants are passive and gentle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by