1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good bye Claire

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Glasshen, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    A fox just carried Claire away. It was around six o'clock, not even close to dark, the girls were out in the yard. I heard a loud strange chicken vocalization and saw one of the RIR girls running really fast away from the house. I went on the back porch and saw a healthy little fox making off with Claire in his mouth. I chased him in my sock feet, but he was way ahead of me, and I'm not too quick with running shoes on.... I don't know if she was alive at that point, but probably not, she didn't make any sound. I sure did, though, this side of town must have heard me. It didn't stop the fox, though.

Claire was the nicest hen. She was kind to the Barred Rock that the rest of the hens picked on. She was a beautiful, plump girl who got along with all the others. She was well behaved, didn't fly out of the pen, and during dramatic times would let Stewie shelter under her wings.

We shall all miss her.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I am sorry for your loss of Claire. :hugs I too know what those horrible foxes can do after they killed all my runner ducks recently.

3. Glasshen

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Thank you, and Im sorry about your call ducks. It is hard to have these trusting animals killed.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] I'm sorry you lost her, she was lucky to have you love and care for her, some chickens ain't so lucky.

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I am so sorry. How horrible. [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Very sorry for your loss. It is hard when they take them,but somehow worse when you are there trying to chase after and just can't get to them.Hugs.She sounds like she was a nice hen to own.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How horrible! So sorry.

9. Glasshen

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Thanks everyone. I've been looking into fox behavior, and it looks bleak for the girls. They will need to stay in their fenced run, and my son is loaning me his dog for extra protection. I have one, but she is lame at the moment, so I don't want to set her the task of chasing those creatures. Maybe add some electricity to top and bottom of the fence. Got to learn about that, don't want to zap the girls, or me or my dog...So we're in problem solving mode.

I'd welcome any ideas. Perhaps the fox family will just disappear. That is my hope.

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Dogs will be good for keeping foxes away. My ducks got taken right on dawn. My dog was locked up as we have a new puppy. . We have not gone down the electric fence route yet as we have koalas and i would not like them to get a jolt from one. Our runner pen is 1/4 acre size so we dug corrugated iron along the bottom of the pen and that seems to be keeping them at bay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by