1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Good bye Clara...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paganfish, Dec 11, 2007.

1. paganfish

paganfish Songster

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Hello-

Today, I noticed one of my bantam hens struggling to get. up She kept falling on her side/wing. When I picked her up she seemed to not be in any physical distress but I knew she was struggling-inwards.

I didn't like the idea of putting her down but if she was in pain...that had to be done.

So, I had a friend (fellow chicken lover) look at her and asses the situation for me. Sure enough, she was too far gone. He thinks it might have to be a combination of her age and the weather. I held her while he did the deed. I kept saying, "go...just go and be at peace!" as she struggled.

It was quite amazing...actually. Sad, but amazing. :|

A little bit of history...

I got her, along with the other bantys from a neighbor last Summer and she had the worst case of leg mites of all of them. I had been working on them to get rid of the mites and I am happy to say, everyone's finally, mite-free!

Her poor little feet were so messed up, they looked like barnacles. So, she became my favorite. I called her Clara because she was white. She had the habit of sitting right near me when I came in and would swivel her head back n forth if I moved in front of her. I called it the, "oh no you didn't", attitude move!

I am going to miss her. But, I know she's much better off, now.

I waited until my friend left, sat down for a bit - and while looking at my hands..I cried. [​IMG]

I never thought I'd cry for a chicken!!! [​IMG]

Safe Journey Clara!!! [​IMG]

Peace-

Pedro

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Songster

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. Saying goodbye to a friend is always hard, be it human, dog, cat or chicken.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss Pedro, sounds like you did the right thing.

4. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Songster

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    sorry for ur loss.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Songster

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Peace to you and Clara. I am so sorry for your loss. I know it's hard to lose a family pet.

6. lyndatu

lyndatu Songster

Nov 13, 2007
    Sorry about Clara. Sounds like she's been a very good hen. We'll pray for her on her journey.

[​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Poor little Clara....I sure hate that for you....

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry Pedro.

9. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Songster

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Pedro, I'm really sorry you had to go through this.

Clara was not JUST a chicken. She was a companion. [​IMG]

10. paganfish

paganfish Songster

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Thanks everyone! Though I was bummed all day, your kind words helped. [​IMG]

Peace-

Pedro

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by