good-bye stink!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by miss_jayne, Nov 5, 2008.

1. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we have 103 cornish X and any who have had/have them now, KNOW the poop factor is a smell to behold.

not anymore around here!!! i switched feed from Dumor to a home grown/processed feed made by a local farmer....see ya' later stink!

the difference is incredible. the birds are growing like mad and the feathers are really nice!

and the best part? $19 for 100 lbs.

so, good-bye stink, hello more meat birds! just thought i'd share...it has made us happy!

2. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    That's fantastic! What is in it so I can look for someone to do the same

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm not familiar with the brand, but it's true that if the feed contains any porcine protein (pork) it's much more smelly than veggie feed.

And I'm understating the difference- it's like the difference between rotting flesh and...well, poop!

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:corn, wheat, soybeans and oats mixed to the correct percentages.

check with local farmers who know how to mix. that is important that they understand the science of it and not just, 'give 'em some corn...'

rscrvc...i am not sure about the pork, but i do know that the stuff i am buying now has no preservatives, is ground within three days of my purchase and smells so good in the bag! (good in bag, good on ground![​IMG] )

edited to add soybeans, i forgot!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  5. ChickenTender63

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I used to love the smell of a good quality, fresh milled feed. There's just something about that smell

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:it smells delicious! at his mill, i sat eating pieces of the soybeans!

7. ChickenTender63

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I'll see if I can locate someone around here. Thanks for the info!

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado

check with local farmers who know how to mix. that is important that they understand the science of it and not just, 'give 'em some corn...'

rscrvc...i am not sure about the pork, but i do know that the stuff i am buying now has no preservatives, is ground within three days of my purchase and smells so good in the bag! (good in bag, good on ground![​IMG] )

Any good feed mill can mix the above ingredients to make the correct protein for you. The beans of course need to be roasted. 19.00 per hundred wt. is not a bad price for such good ingredients. I bet it smells great wihtout any meat products in it.

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI

Any good feed mill can mix the above ingredients to make the correct protein for you. The beans of course need to be roasted. 19.00 per hundred wt. is not a bad price for such good ingredients. I bet it smells great wihtout any meat products in it.

i agree...just have to look around to find what is available in your area.

seriously, it smells so good, i would try eating it like porridge if the meaties didn't eat so much!

10. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    WOW. I'm paying $18.75 for 50# of local feed (instead of $14 for blue seal).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by