Good bye, sweet ewe

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Only one of my two Katahdin ewes was waiting at the fence line for me when I went out to do chores this morning. I knew what I would find in the shed when I didn't hear her call. Betsy, who ate hay last night and got head rubs yesterday, was lying dead inside the building. At least, she died inside and with her companion there.

Bets was one of my original Katahdin sheep, and the last survivor of the first group of three. She was a beautiful rusty red color and loved head rubs. She had to have been at least a year old when I got the three of them, so she must have 11 years old or older, not bad for a sheep. But, not nearly long enough for me.

At least she doesn't have to endure another hideous northern Iowa winter. Yesterday's cold, snow and blowing winds likely hastened her death.

When her siblings died within days of each other four years ago, I bought a young Katahdin ewe -- by the pound, which rescued Rachel from becoming someone's Easter meal. Now, Rach is alone. I don't know that I am up to rehoming her, but flock animals need friends.

Her pen is adjacent to three miniature goats, but they have never enjoyed each others' company. All three goats have horns, which gives them a major advantage over poor Rachel.

I will miss my beautiful Betsy as much as Rachel will.

Thank you for condolences.

A neighbor just came out and helped me move Betsy's body into a secure metal container so predators wouldn't ravage her.

Poor Rachel was so distraught when we were moving Betsy's body and has been running up and down the fence line. She keeps leaning into me and nuzzling. The two of them have been together since Rach came here, just a few months old.

This is awful. I am worried about Rachel. Maybe I should see if she would feel better with the goats? I could open the gate between their pens and see what happens.

I've seen that some folks put tennis balls on their goats' horns. I think those would slide off pretty easily. Plus, even without "spearing" her, they could head butt and hurt her.

She's bigger than them, and MIGHT be able to hold her own. I just don't know.

Maybe she's just working out her grief. Maybe she will calm down once she realizes Betsy isn't out there somewhere. Maybe I should start looking for a new home for Rach. I don't think I'm up to getting another sheep.

I lost one of my goats in August and a Buckeye hen in September. The problem with caring about your pets is that they all will die some day. And, yet, I have to outlive them to make sure they're all cared for.

I'm so sorry. I would love to know if Rachel has settled down at all after Betsy's death. I, too, had three Katahdins and am down to two and they are both 15 years old. I'm dreading the day my Zinnia dies and leaves her one best friend to live by herself.

Rachel has settled down quite a bit. She seems as normal as she ever has :). Rach is my "puppy" sheep. I got her as Betsy's companion, but Bets detested her so much that Rach spent her first days here in a giant dog crate. All my sheep and goats have collars, and Rach will actually walk well on a leash.

Which is a good thing since she is the Sheep Most Likely to Find a Way out of the Pasture. I just track her down in the neighbor's field, snap on her leash and she nicely walks home.

Fifteen is AMAZING! You must be doing something right!! And, of course, I totally understand your dread.

Rachel has settled down quite a bit. She seems as normal as she ever has :). Rach is my "puppy" sheep. I got her as Betsy's companion, but Bets detested her so much that Rach spent her first days here in a giant dog crate. All my sheep and goats have collars, and Rach will actually walk well on a leash.

Which is a good thing since she is the Sheep Most Likely to Find a Way out of the Pasture. I just track her down in the neighbor's field, snap on her leash and she nicely walks home.

Fifteen is AMAZING! You must be doing something right!! And, of course, I totally understand your dread.
That's wonderful! Is Rachel living with the goats now or does she have a space all to herself?
Yeah, I can't believe they've lived this long, especially Zinnia, who was the only one to have triplets. Katahdins are the best and make great pets!

Back
Top Bottom