Good caged bird for an apartment--update, bad news :(

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by desertdarlene, Sep 22, 2010.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    A while back, I was told I could have a pet bird as long as it was quiet and didn't disturb the neighbors. I want to have a bird that's fun to play with and be a companion, but a lot of those are in the parrot family and are noisy. Also, I have allergies, so one with less dust would be ideal. I have a small air purifier.

Anyone have any suggestions?

We just got a new management company for our building, so I'll have to check to make sure I still can have a pet bird, but I'm sure it'll be OK.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I recently got into parrotlets. They are the smallest members of the parrot family and have a ton of personality, but no screaming. They aren't nearly as expensive as larger parrots either. Just make sure you get one that's hand tame already. They come in a few colors. I like the blue ones best.

3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I thought about parrotlets, but they were a little out of my price range at the moment. They sound perfect, though, from what I've researched.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I like parrots, but the screeching hits my angry nerve, so they are not a good idea for me. Just a few weeks ago a parakeet moved in with my chickens. I managed to catch her and unable to find the owner I decided to keep her. I am finding her squawks lower in tone and volume, as well as infrequent, so I am really enjoying having her around. Many years ago I had a cockatiel, that I thought was fairly quiet. screeched occasionally, but not bad. Stay away from quakers and love birds. lol

Imp

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have finches and they are sweet easy to care for birds. There are a large variety too, and all price ranges. They will lay eggs and have babies and you need four if you want to do that, as one pair sometimes has to take over as parents. . .the actual egg laying parents just go about their business and sometimes abandon their eggs/babies. Mine never have, but a friend of mine has some that do. . .so the other pair hatch out and raise the babies.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If your wanting a social little bird that will come out of it's cage and hang out with you, not be too noisy etc. then I'd say parakeet. Inexpensive, lots of color choices. They get really attached to their owners, learn to talk etc. They do like to twitter and chatter a lot but it's not the super loud, high pitched shrieking larger birds often do. I had my last one for 12 years and I sure do miss the little guy. I'd have another one in a heartbeat in I didn't have a few housecats now.

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks! Parakeets sound cool afterall. I was thinking a cockatiel because I got to handle some young ones and they were so sweet! But, I can't be sure that they would be quiet. At least I know that most parakeets couldn't be extremely loud even if they tried.

I thought about finches, but I wasn't sure if they would want to interact with me like some of the other birds. Plus, we have tons and tons of wild finches around my home, so I get a finch fix every day.

8. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Your best bet would be a parakeet or two, you can Handle them, and teach them things, and they are pretty quiet, also they won't get to big,

where as finches don't like to be handled, they do better in groups, plus you can't teach them.

And some Cockatiels can be very noisy when they get wound up or if they think you are ignoring them!

9. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I love my cockatiels! They are such a pleasure! I don't think they would be heard through the walls? I would keep them in the living area! Make sure what ever you get is handfed!!! I would get a male.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have 3 parakeets and 1 cockatiel in our apt. As long as windows are not open and you don't put your head against our door, you don't hear them much outside. I'd have to say though, the hand fed cockatiel is friendliest, and actually quieter than the 3 pet store parakeets. The parakeets are rather "wild" so to say, with one being semi tame, one being a step up only if he feels like it, and one which would rather you did not exist. The screaming from all 4 is a bit loud, but high pitched so doesn't go though walls well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by