Good Candidates for Hatching Eggs

Takemine77

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2016
I was hoping someone could give me some clues to what makes an egg a good candidate for the incubator. My second batch for this spring hatched this weekend. I know which eggs come from which hens, and was disappointed to see that none of my Golden Sexlinks, Hamburg, or Wyandotte's hatched. When I candled them early in the incubation, I noticed that the Sexlinks eggs were very porous.

There are 12 hens to 1 rooster, so shouldn't be any problems there. Most of the hens are 1 year old, with the exception of the Golden Sexlink, Hamburg, and Rhode Island Red(3-4 of the Rhode Island Red babies hatched!).

Are there physical indicators of fertility that I can take note of before putting the eggs in the incubator? If they aren't fertile, I'd be happier eating them :)

I was hoping someone could give me some clues to what makes an egg a good candidate for the incubator. My second batch for this spring hatched this weekend. I know which eggs come from which hens, and was disappointed to see that none of my Golden Sexlinks, Hamburg, or Wyandotte's hatched. When I candled them early in the incubation, I noticed that the Sexlinks eggs were very porous.

There are 12 hens to 1 rooster, so shouldn't be any problems there. Most of the hens are 1 year old, with the exception of the Golden Sexlink, Hamburg, and Rhode Island Red(3-4 of the Rhode Island Red babies hatched!).

Are there physical indicators of fertility that I can take note of before putting the eggs in the incubator? If they aren't fertile, I'd be happier eating them :)
The only way to tell if an egg is fertile is to crack a couple from the hen in question and look for the bullseye. (Then you can havebreakfast.
wink.png
)
Here's a pic to help if you aren't sure what you are looking for:

I've found you can filter out a lot of bad eggs by candling them. I look for hairline cracks on the ends as well as porous - I find only half to 2/3rd of my eggs are good for hatching. Once I started filtering those out I had much higher hit rates on development. The other thing to pull out is eggs that are really large or funny shapes (bumps, etc...). I had one hen that laid giant eggs (white leghorn) - her eggs would develop to a week and a half and die - every time. I just stopped incubating her eggs. Some hens just don't lay good eggs for hatching.

1 rooster to 12 hens should be fine. Just check your eggs when you eat them to see what % are fertile (per what AmyLynn2374 posted).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom