good cheap hawk protection

QCFChicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
I'm having hawk problems and don't want to spend all that money and hassel to put up net what are some other alternative solutions that work. Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
LSG dog! My pyrenees only let it happen 1 time and then he knew they were trouble. The hawks left my birds alone and went down the road to a neighbors who took care of the problem. I also hatch a bunch of extra guineas every yead as decoys. I like to keep about 15 freerange guineas and still have 14 from last year.

Last edited:
My friend has used pie pans (the foil kind) hanging from the pen. If you free range you need a dog.

The CD's work GREAT for us over our silkie turn-out paddocks. I hung a BUNCH of them on monofilament and the hawks aren't coming within 50 yards of the house/barn now.

Edited to add that we do have large fowl that free range in the backyard near the silkie coops and they seen to be afforded some protection from the CD's as well. The hawks are staying far away. When they do fly over, they fly VERY high and we never see them sitting in the trees anymore. Don't even hear the owls hooting anymore!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
All of the postings are excellent examples to help deter hawks. IMO an experienced rooster is the least expensive and best hawk deterrent. Not only does a rooster constantly look for hawks/predators, they will warn the hens to run for cover and they will sacrifice their life defending their hens.

I think a rooster can help a lot too. We recently lost my DH's favorite EE rooster to a fox. I am sure he stood his ground so the hens could get away. Really hated losing him like that. DH did even the score.

Thanks for the great ideas. I lost 2 rosters and 3 hens in 2 days. I just built a pen with two runs of electric fence around the bottom and now am having hawks get in. Seems like we fix one problem and 2 or 3 others come. I have heard that CDs work. So we are trying that seems to be about the cheapest and easiest. Does anybody have pics or vids of hawks getting chickens? Might work as a educational thing. See how they do it and see if we can figure out some other ways. Thanks again

One other thing you could try is get an owl decoy near the coop. I have never tried it but have heard of others having success.

Quote:
I tried Mono but it degrades fairly quick with UV hitting it all the time the copper wire is fairly cheap at the home centers or hardware store I have not tried the owls for hawks but they only slow down pigeons for a little bit they get used to them quickly

Back
Top Bottom