1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good Cheap Rifle for Hunting Deer

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by eggboy, Dec 31, 2010.

1. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I know this is a little off topic but I was wondering what is a good inexpensive rifle for deer hunting I am planning on getting a gun soon, I have researched a little and I think that 30-06, .308(Mosin Nagant), and .270 are all good guns but I was wondering what a good deal on one would be I am talking about used and fairly good condition guns I preffer bolt action and would like to have the ability to also hunt elk or bear if I ever have the chance so I guess that leaves out the .270. I am also wondering what some good brands are I have heard that Winchester and Remington are both good.

2. Pastor Mike

Pastor Mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    I'm from Meadville Pa just south of Erie. I would suggest the 30-06. It works well for elk out here in Oregon and takes bear as well. I would stay with a savage or springfield.

3. eggboy

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    What is a good price for a used 30-06?

4. Pastor Mike

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    It really depends on your area. I picked up one in western Pa For 200. Make sure you know those you buy from. There are many gun shops in Pa . Check one out.

5. Pastor Mike

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    No I've not heard of them but that is the best suggestion for you a sporting goods store. Good hunting. A family friend may also be of help. Most of my first guns came from family friends.

6. eggboy

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    Thank you, you have been very helpful. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    What is a good price for a used 30-06?

That's an impossible question to answer

It's like "What's a good price for a used car"?

This should get you started though:

Welcome to ARMSLIST Gun Classifieds
    If you're looking for a simple and effective firearms marketplace,
    you've come to the right place.

http://www.armslist.com/

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I use the 270 for black bear 140-150 grain I am limited to 200 yards because of where I hunt (great dismal swamp) but a 270 works well for bear we do not have elk happy hunting

9. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I just bought a new Marlin XL7 in 30-06. New it runs around $300 in the States (I think). It will never be a target rifle, but at 100 meters I can put 3 shots inside 1.25" (180g Norma Vulcan bullets). I think I can do better than 1" it was 20 degrees at the range with a foot of snow so I was a little cold. It's a bolt action, blued barrel, and synthetic stock, so far I am very happy with the results for the price, I plan on using it to hunt Red Stag (elk size), Fallow (maybe), wild boar, Roe deer and fox while I am overseas. Oh yeah it comes with an adjustable trigger, no creep and a scope rail already mounted on the gun.

I would avoid the Mosin Nagant, a couple guys picked them up cheap here (I live in Germany) and while fun to shoot they are not the most accurate. Limited experience but wanted to give you my 2 cents.

As far as the caliber I like the 30-06, but a .270 will kill everything you mentioned dead. All you need to do is get the right bullet for the game. I have friends who hunt elk in CO all the time with a .270 and have single shot kills. You just have to have the right bullet and wait for the right shot angle but that is really true with all calibers.

Good luck in your search.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Go to the Gun Shows, you can get a 7.62 X 54 Mosin Nagant new in the box (with cosmoline) for around $100 (+/-). It's equivalant to a 30.06 in ballistics and a hello of a lot cheaper. I have a Ruger M77 30.06 I purchased some time ago for a lot. My Son bought a Mosin Nagant 30/91 of WWII vintage still new in the box, the darn thing outshoots my 30.06. I hate it when my Kids are smarter then me! (not really, he shows me up all the time)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by