Good Chicken Breeds for Showing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by thebeauxman, Mar 11, 2012.

1. thebeauxman

thebeauxman New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    What common chicken breeds are good for stock shows like 4H and County Stock Shows?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Silkies, Cochins and Orpingtons are a good common place to start.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Any APA/ABA recognized breed with an APA/ABA recognized color can be shown. The breed isn't really what it boils down to, it is the strain and quality of said strain. If you're just looking for hatchery stock, which is what most people have, your best bet is to work with bantam Cochins, standard Dominques, and standard Black Australorps. Although most hatchery stock is far from show quality and many 4H don't actually show according to the standard anyway, those are breeds that aren't too far from it, plus they're pretty friendly and easily worked with so they're a good start.

4. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    I'll add some advice that was given to me and that is to use bantams for 4H. They are much easier for kids to work with. Bantam Cochin is a great suggestion. They have great dispositions and tolerate kids and handling very well. I'd stick with a solid color. Hatchery stock is fine for 4H since it's really more about the kids and showmanship as much if not moreso than the chickens anyway. Of course, if you really want to compete for Grand Champion ribbons you're better off purchasing show quality from a reputable breeder.

5. ericsplls

ericsplls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    My hatchery stock oegb aren't to standard but are close and are the easiest birds to handle I own. Another good thing about bantams is you can feed several for what it takes for one large fowl and they require less space.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I was going to suggest those too but for true showing, not everyone can stomach dubbing chickens. [​IMG] That is of course if you plan to have them for more than 11 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by