Good chicken incubators?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken boy123, Dec 8, 2012.

1. chicken boy123

chicken boy123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    Hi! I need some help. I was looking what is really good incubator was for science fair projects? IT needs to be under $60 good reliable and has a very good hatch rate any good brands or specific items? I really need an A in science so I'd really appreciate any post that you can leave thank you for your help!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You could build a cooler incubator for less than that. You would need a wafer thermostat ($22.00) to control 2 40-60 watt light bulbs ($5.00), a small computer fan (<$10.00) and a Resale store cheap cooler. Electric wire, wire nuts and a extension cord. You will also need a thermometer and a hygrometer. You can find how to info to make a incubator and how to directions for calibrating a thermometer and hygrometer. It's really not hard and should really boost your Grade for a Home-made incubator that works : )

3. chicken boy123

chicken boy123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    Thanks for. The thought, but I'm not allowed to (due to the rules of the science fair) so is there ANY good, cheap and reliable incubators out there?!

4. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    I have gotten used incubators off e-Bay, but it depends on what's available when you look.
    I have had good luck with both the Little Giant and the Hovabator (GQF) brands. The quality of the eggs is more important than the quality of the incubator. For that budget you will have to turn the eggs by hand AT LEAST every 8 hours.
    Good Luck!

5. Keric

Keric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    We use the hova-bater with a fan, but we turn by hand. It's worked for us! But I think it was $100. The fanless one is cheaper but I think the fan is really important. Keeps from cooking the ones in the center and chilling the ones on the egdes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by