Good (chilly!) morning to you!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by smallchick, Feb 5, 2014.

1. smallchick

smallchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    I will be looking for cold hardy chicks this Spring-any idea's? I had Salmon Faverolle's, but we had 2 bobcat attacks and lost everybody (including my 6 yr old gentle rooster). Quite an emotional blow, but we now have 3 replacement hens and rooster, and I;d like to add to the flock.
    Also, wanted to add a few pics, but the "add image" icon just revolves like it's loading something......idea's?
    Stay warm!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

1. How cold hardy? (Do you need super fluffy breeds, or just hardy ones)

2. And how high is your risk of frostbite? (If it is high then you want breeds with tiny combs and wattles)

3. Also, any freezing mud issues? (Then no feathered feet)

Choices:

The Salmon Faverolles are lovely for cold, but they do have comb points that will freeze off, and those feathered feet are no good if you have freezing mud. They are maybe your best choice for a sweet rooster.

All of the Wyandottes are good and fluffy with tiny combs. Some roosters have big wattles. As to temperament, it is a bit hit and miss.

Ameraucanas are an almost perfect cold weather bird. You can't even see their wattles and their combs are very small.

I haven't ever had one of the two breeds designed specifically for cold: Buckeye and Chanticleer

Russian Orloffs are also good and cold hardy. Not big egg layers, more dual purpose.

OK, there are many more too!

Just remember when you are looking at breeds to think thriugh points 1,2,3 above!

3. smallchick

smallchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Thanks alot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by