Good (chilly) morning!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by smallchick, Feb 5, 2014.

1. smallchick

smallchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    I hope that I'm not re-posting a new post, if that makes any sense.

I am looking for suggestions for cold-hardy chicks come Spring. I had Salmon Faverolles (sp?), but lost all of them (and my 6 yr old rooster) to bobcats in 2 separate attacks. Big blow, emotional. Now that the coop is critter-cam'd and safe, we replacde them with 3 hens and a rooster of unknown species, and wish to add to the flock.

Also, I wanted to add a few pics, but the 'add image' icon won't allow me to do anything, and appears to be loading. Help please.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Where do you live? As in, how cold hardy do they need to be?

3. smallchick

smallchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    I live in Stanwood, 40 miles north of Seattle, in the convergent zone. If you at all know the area, I live a stones' throw from Pilchuck Glass School, 900 ft up. Last night it was 8 degree's, tonite expected to be colder. Might not be a big deal, considering that you're in NH....

4. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I don't know the area, but I peeked at the average lows and highs for you on intellicast. Most chicken breeds would consider your climte perfect, heh, according to your averages it seldom drops below freezing at night all winter long. I do realize we're having weird weather all over the country, though.

Anyway, we raise Dominiques because they are very cold hardy. They do fine here in NH with -20F lows at night and no heat in the coop, and they keep on laying, too. If you'd like some other cold-hardy suggestions, I like the breed selection tool on the My Pet Chicken webpage: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
    You can choose cold-hardy as one of the options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by