Good Coop Bedding Aside from Wood Shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lyndatu, Nov 20, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Chicken Feet: Gross.... :eek:

Hello, there!

My coop is almost done! But! There is one thing I'm worried about: bedding. What's a good bedding for my coop? I found wood shavings to be perfect, but it's quite expensive since I have to replace it regularly. Any help?

Thank you for your usual kindness! [​IMG]

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Try some dry pine needles, they like them too!!!Ive done it when im out of shavings or hay and they really liked the smell and feel.

3. Zah-zah

Zah-zah Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2007
    I've heard people using sand (like in the sanbox for kids). You don't have to replace, just take out te poo... It should work perfectly. But I haven't tried myself yet.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I cover the whole floor of my coop in sand then a layer of coastal hay. I only replace the sand once or twice a year. The hay I replace about every 3 months it stays pretty clean because my chickens don't spend a lot of time inside the coop. I also have sand pits under the roosting area and that I scoop out daily like a kitty littler box.

[​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How big is your coop? If you can do the deep litter method you would only have to clean it out about once a year.

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Some firewood places and tree service companies give their wood chips away. Some municipalities do also. I used to go to a firewood place to get mine. They worked well. With some health problems I have shoveling my truck full of wood chips got old. I now buy the shavings. Its getting the time of year for leaves to fall off the trees. Those may work as well if you have a leaf shredder. If time is not a problem a lawnmower can do decent at shreading leaves.

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Dang, Poison, that's one clean coop! Were there any chickens in there yet when that pic was made?? LOL

8. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a wood/paper mill nearby you could get pine shaving's from them. They are a little less consistant in size.
    Since the Deep Litter Method (like Miss Prissy mentioned above) was explained to me by this board I've been using pine shaving's and only add a little to it weekly. It doesn't cost much to just sprinkle in a little more each time. Mostly you just turn the shavings to keep it aerated. And the chooks are all happy. [​IMG]

9. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Thank you all for your help! I love this site! Especially this message board!

I think I'll go with hay, but where does it come from? Hehe, sorry! [​IMG] I don't really know!

The others say that I can use paper cuttings. Is that true?

Oh, and this deep-litter method; looks convenient! I'll read more about it!

Thanks again!

10. pollo

pollo New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    I would stay away from bermuda grass hay. I had a chicken almost die when she was eating the long stringy bermuda grass hay. She got an impacted crop & was pooping clumps of tangled up grass. It dosnt digest & It can plug them up. I use shavings. If you buy a bale of hay from the feed store you will have to cover it or store it (the unused portion), otherwise if it gets wet it will mold & that is not good, plus its a mess.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by