1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

good coop design?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DucksN'Horses, Oct 10, 2011.

1. DucksN'Horses

DucksN'Horses Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    alright, so first excuse my terrible drawing of a duck in this, then excuse my overall drawing skills.
    The stall mat underneith the wire pen is to catch the poo so that it doesn't end up on the ground, but the ducks dont have to stand in it, and rubber horse stall mats are easy to wash. the yellow stuff in the shelter is straw, and there is a roof over the entire thing i'm just terrible at drawing on a laptop. so do you think this is a good design? here is the pic
    http:[email protected]/6230442661/in/photostream

2. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    I can only comment about the pond, as I no nothing about ducks. The pond will be an issue because of the weight. Water is 8.3 pounds per gallon. You must think of how you will support it, clean it and how it will drain.

3. Hollywood Hen

Hollywood Hen Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Your cartoon ducks are adorable.

I haven't built for ducks before, but I would put a big door near the pond. You're going to have to access it now and then for a really good clean out, or maintenence if the drain hose gets clogged. I'd probably also put some kind of filter basket above the drain.

4. DucksN'Horses

DucksN'Horses Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    There are suport boards that run under the pond to help hold it, and the door is much larger and acually in front of the pond, i am just terrible at drawing on a computer, and had no way of getting my hand draw designs on the computer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by