good coop designs

ducklingsweety

Songster
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
parkland washington
frow.gif
hi everyone i was wondering if you have any good coop designs we currently have a portable coop but we don't like it because it leaves big poopy spots in our yard but it is very easy to clean. we are planning to upgrade to a permanent coop this summer however. the space we want to put it in is about 20x20 feet and we hope to add a large run so we don't feel guilty when we are away, we also plan to have 10 to 15 hens(roosters are against our area code but id love to have a brown and red Cochin!) oh and we want to add a small cat den to the side to keep rats away
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Some of the main concerns are that the spot is high enough that the coop won't flood, and designed so that it has good air flow in the summer so they won't get overheated. There are loads of coop designs in our coop section (top of the page;) you will probably want to look in the medium coops, and maybe the large ones.

I built the barn style in my avatar pic for about 1200.00. Its big enough to park a truck in to unload feed and hay. The roof metal was reclaimed and the siding is old shipping crates. Its pretty much just a pole barn and you can easily change the design to suit your needs and size. BYC helped me come up with it after looking at all the great coops here.

Back
Top Bottom